International Day of Action to stop the Belo Monte Dam Complex
The license to begin construction on the disastrous Belo Monte Dam in the Brazilian Amazon could be issued as early as the week of November 15.
Please take a stand for the thousands of people whose communities will be sacrificed for the profit of mining, construction, and energy companies.
Let the Brazilian Embassies and Consulates around the world know that you are in solidarity with the Brazilian people fighting to save their communities and cultures from destruction.
Here's what you can do:
1. Call the Brazilian Embassy and tell them to stop the Belo Monte Dam Complex from proceeding.
Some talking points are:
1) Belo Monte Dam would carve the world's third largest hydroelectric dam into the heart of the Amazon.
2) Belo Monte Dam will destroy over 100,000 acres of rainforest and uproot over 40,000 indigenous and local people.
3) The Brazilian government should defend the Amazon, respect indigenous peoples' rights, and invest in energy efficiency and alternative energy.
If you are in the US, please call (202) 238-2805 and/or (202) 238-2712.
If you cannot leave a comment, write an e-mail message to :
Contact information for Brazilian Consulates can be found at :
2. Sign the petition below.
3. Participate in an International Day of Action to stop the Belo Monte Dam complex on November 16.
For information on organizing a protest at a Brazilian Embassy or Consulate near you,
To join Amazon Watch at the Consulate in San Francisco:
and to participate in the event at the Embassy in Washington DC :
email : firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLS Sign the petition to
stop the monstrous Belo Monte Dam
Belo Monte Dam would be the one of the largest, *most devastating infrastructure projects
ever to be built in the Amazon.
It would divert the flow of the Xingu River and devastate an extensive area of the Brazilian rainforest, displace over 20,000 people and threaten the survival of indigenous peoples.
On August 26, the Brazilian government signed the concession to build the Belo Monte Dam, despite concerns over its financial viability, growing resistance amongst indigenous groups and social movements, and predictions of technical experts that the dam will be one of the worst engineering projects in Brazil's history.
Now is a crucial time to take action to defend the Xingu River.
Please sign the petition below to the Brazilian government* and ask them to immediately stop the monstrous Belo Monte Dam Complex.
*** petition in English :
•Veja essa petição em português
*** LETTER to send :
Dear Brazilian Government,
I am deeply concerned about your plans to build the Belo Monte Dam Complex on the Xingu River in the Amazon, in violation of the human rights of indigenous people and other threatened populations, and despite warnings by renowned Brazilian scientists, engineers, economists and religious leaders about the project’s huge social and environmental costs and lack of economic viability.
I support the demands of Brazilian civil society that the Brazilian government immediately stop the Belo Monte Dam Complex, and instead:
- Implement Brazilian legislation and international agreements on protecting human rights and the environment, giving special attention to indigenous peoples and their territories,
- Invest in energy efficiency and alternative energy sources to meet Brazil’s legitimate energy needs, and
-Support participatory and sustainable development in the Xingu region, aimed at strengthening local livelihoods and safeguarding the region’s delicate ecosystems.
Brazil has an opportunity to demonstrate global leadership in protecting the Amazon, its people and the global climate.
Current and future generations of Brazilians are counting on you to make the right decision.
PLS SHARE !
P.S : I am NO :4960
on the petition
MORE LINKS :
Thanks to Fenia♥
PETITIONS and ACTIONS to take here :
Pls join the Facebook page